Marko's Monastery - the region of Skopje
It is located behind the southern slopes of Mount Vodno, in the region of Skopje. The church was dedicated to St. Dimitrie. King Vukasin commenced the construction of the monastery in 1345, and King Marko, after whom it was named, finished it. The frescoes were painted in 1376/77. The monastery has been active throughout the history. In 1467/68 there were 20 monks in it. In 1645 it is also referred to in a printed book, and in 1663 in a manuscript. There are notes on the monastery in a number of records dating from the XIV to XIX centuries: a 1370 Prologue, written by the diacon Nikola; a XIV collective works which was taken from the monastery in the XVIII century and presently kept in Hlud's collection; a 1362 epistle, written by Varlaam the monk; a late XIV century Slova (Book); the September - November Prologue form the mid-XIV century; a XIV-XV century Menaion. In 1745, 1792 and 1799 it was mentioned in two manuscripts. One of the greatest distributors of the monastery's manuscripts was metropolitan Zaharie and his second, Greek Asim. They lived in the XVIII century. In the early XIX century Kiril Pejchinovic invited young people into the monastery and taught them to read and write. At Marko's Monastery he wrote the book "Mirror" ("Ogledalo")/1816/. In 1830 an open shrine was built, financed by Hamzi-Pasha of Skopje.
BACK to Selection of churches
NAZAD
BACK to Christianity
NAZAD
BACK to Religions
NAZAD

BACK HOME