See the interior of Kursumli-An.
This caravanserai, today known as Kursumli - an (Lead Inn), is located in a former ironmongers' bazaar. Its dating is not precisely known. The sources mention it as a memorial of Mula - Musledin Hodza, the son of Abdul Ghani, in 1550 (956 according to Hijra).
The architectonic structure of this caravanserai, its building style, and numerous essential elements - all of these are quite similar to those of other XV and XVI centuries buildings in Skopje and in various centres of the Ottoman Empire. Therefore, it is believed that it was built either in the late XV or during the first decades of the XVI century. Unlike other Skopje caravanserais, the stable of Kursumli-An, located in a separate courtyard on the inn's western side, is well preserved. The stable is entered by two doorways, one leading from the inn, and the other from the street, as a separate entrance into the stable. Its capacity was approximately 100 horses, that were given special treatment and care.
On the first floor the caravanserai also had relatively small rooms for the overnight accommodation of the travelers. Some of them had fireplaces. In the ground floor, just like in all caravanserais, were the storage rooms.
In the quadrangular courtyard there is a large fountain, where the guests were resting, especially in the evening, after they would finished their daily business.
The Inn was used as caravanserai from the time of its construction until 1878, when it was converted into notorious prison. The first prisoners were Macedonian revolutionaries who fought for freedom against the 5 centuries long Ottoman enthrallment. The area around the fountain in the Inn's courtyard was filled with gallows on which the Ottoman authorities carried out death penalties in front of the prisoners.
Even before the Second World War Kursumli - An was converted into the Lapidarium (a collection of stone monuments) of the Museum of Archaeology. There numerous remnants of the material culture discovered in the territory of Macedonia were stored, and some of them were displayed. Ever since, Kursumli - An has retained the same purpose.
The Lapidarium, whose inventory is constantly increasing, exhibits numerous sculptures, tombstones, and other monuments from the Classical Era sites discovered in Macedonia.